Saturday, June 11, 2011

No hugs.

I was in psychiatric hospital from April to June 2010. The rooms were cold, with white walls and loud air conditioning. I always fell asleep watching the wall, the shadows portrayed on it by the blinds. It’s not as if nobody was nice to me, they were, it was just that I never really had been used to the cold, professional sort of status that I had to keep with nurses and fellow patients. No hugs, no holding hands when scared, only a few pats on my back or on the back of my hand when I cried my eyes and lungs out because my father declared he no longer knows me. The closest I could get to physical affection was during group therapy every Thursday where we might play some sort of game or other that was supposed to help us but didn’t.

The worst of all was when the visits went from once a week to none. When my phone was taken away from me. When I wasn’t allowed to see my parents. I got to a police investigation, because of which my father would no longer hug me because he was afraid it. I won’t get into that because it would hurt too much and technically, I’m not even sure if I’m allowed…

I brought my teddy bear along to hospital. Silly me, carrying a teddy bear around at sixteen. Truth is, he was the only object/person I could hug. I’ve had Mumur since I was two, he’s worn out and lovely to cuddle and smelt like home, unlike my clothes, which I had to wash at the hospital. I kept him in my bag so that the smell of home wouldn’t go away. After a month, though, it did — which made me hug him even tighter. I would go to bed right after our designated evening snack/medication moment at eight pm. I would put my iPod on and shut the world out while curling up against my Mumur. I would sleep for twelve hours every night, thanks to my medication, with nightmare after nightmare accompanying me, no longer able to cry because I’d done it too much and because I didn’t get what I wanted, what I needed. I felt like a tiny, helpless baby, crying for hours on end until there was no more power left in me.

I suppose a part of me deserved it. I had taken the wrong path in trying to make it through hell. I fell for the wrong person. Also, it appeared my memory was failing on me because what was my truth was a lie, a lie that could have put both of my parents behind bars. Being caged in a room with no lock, no security, no privacy, without any contact into the world — and no hugs, that was what hospital was like.

I can’t believe I went there by choice.




"This week we would like you to write about how the show of affection has played a part in your memory.
Choose a time when either the abundance or lack of affection (either by you or someone else) stands out, and show us.  Bring us to that time.  Help us feel what you felt.
Then come back and link up your post on Tuesday, June 14."

13 Comments So Far:

  1. Having been hospitalized twice in my life, I can completely understand the isolation, the wanting of touch. You did an amazing job of expressing that pain and the coldness of the hospital. My heart ached for you the entire time I was reading this. Truly beautiful piece of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you went through this painful ordeal. I hope you're feeling better now and have been reconciled with yourself and your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have, somewhat. Thanks <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a powerful post. Best wishes to you as you continue to find your path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so powerful, raw, vulnerable. It can't have been easy to write. You clenched my heart here

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been a terribly painful time for you. I do hope that you have found some measure of peace both for yourself and with your parents since then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the most important thing we do as bloggers is tell the truth as we understand it, as well as we can so that someone coming upon it can understand. There are so many people in our world today who are isolated from family and friends. They comb the internet desparetly hoping to find someone who has had life experiences like their's. Some sites are great. They tell the truth--the whole truth. Others range from manipulative to fraudulent. I don't know you and I don't know your story, but as long as what you write here is the hard, ugly truth, you will be healing more than you and your family. You will heal others who find you looking to know they aren't alone in the world. I applaud your courage.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you for opening this page of your life up and sharing it so bravely here. Im so sorry you lived in this isolation, and my heart aches reading this. I spent some time in college volunteering one evening a week in an adolescent ward like you're speaking of, and the detachment necessary is something I cannot do. your story is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I work with teenagers in treatment centers. Thanks for this insight into how it feels from the other side. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for commenting, Anastasia. It really depends on the center itself, and the country's government with how much money they invest in getting good people working there and stuff...

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Lilu. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...