Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Dreams of Childhood


Dreams of Childhood

I saw a businessman on the bus.
He had a fancy suit and a leather case,
Sunglasses.

Ten or so stops before mine,
He picked up a little girl from
What seemed like her Grandma.

The man took his glasses off,
And his eyes melted once
They landed on the little girl,

Maybe four years old,
Talking to her Daddy with
A wide smile on her face.

And instantly I saw you;
And I saw me,
Talking too much but

You didn’t care,
You took every word,
Every question

And tried your best
To answer.

When I got off the bus,
I leaned onto a traffic sign
 And cried.

"The dreams of childhood—
Its airy fables, its graceful,
Beautiful, humane, impossible

Adornments of the world beyond;
So good to be believed in once,
so good to be remembered when outgrown."


Last two stanzas a quote of Charles Dickens.


9 Comments So Far:

  1. I enjoyed where you went with this prompt. What a touching relationship this dad had with his child; and I interpret that it reminded you of your childhood and your dad and perhaps you didn't have the same kind of relationship? It definitely is sad when current things trigger old memories...but all we can do is live today and try to do better with/for those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture almost says it all. Very touching poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet and melancholy at the same time....I could 'see' all that was happening as a spectator....very nice work

    ReplyDelete
  4. A delightful take on our prompt. Thanks so much for taking part in Carry On.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you weep for the beauty in the relationship you were privy to encounter?
    Your words are lovely....

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 Lilu. Powered by Blogger.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...